Friday, January 29, 2010

Oh, My Caroline...





I mentioned on Facebook if anyone has any suggestions for a very stubborn, independent, strong-willed 2 1/2 year old. And I do not overexaggerate when I use these adjectives. Today...oh, today...We started out the morning by making oatmeal chocolate chip muffins (delicious! I had a "couple" throughout the day.). She LOVES to help me in the kitchen, and I love for her to help and participate. I think it is wonderful for her, and we always incorporate counting, shapes, colors, etc. Great for all. Usually. She just does not listen. I tell her "NO" to grabbing things off the counter; shaking flour on the floor, or "making snow" as she calls it; eating all of the batter. She just doesn't get it. And the whole grabbing things off the counters beyond annoys me. And the child can reach EVERYTHING. And I try to explain to her that there is a reason I say "no" to grabbing the spatula off the counter and licking it: RJ and I made cookie squares last night after the girls had gone to bed and watched tv (this is our big date night!), and of course the cookies had eggs in them. So she should not be licking the spatula. Yes, I probably should have washed it last night...but I didn't. It is the principle. So as I explain to her (in her terms) why she just can't go grabbing things after I have put her in time out, I turn around literally for a second and she is grabbing something else down. HELLO?!?! Do you have selective hearing? This happened over and over, and over and over this morning. And then I thought we needed a change of pace and we went to the playroom to make Valentine cards. Painting, which I don't mind the mess that much...it is going to happen, she LOVES to paint, etc. No big deal. However, it is a big deal when I tell her not to pour the paints herself, I turn around to go pick up Lilly Catherine, and she has poured brown paint everywhere. Ugh. And again, I don't even mind the mess that much...it is that she didn't listen. And since the previous 3 time outs didn't work during the last hour, I thought I would try her standing with her nose in the corner (I have heard from several other moms that this works!). Um, not around here. She started singing a song about standing in the corner (one of her many beautiful talents is making up random songs about what she is currently doing or going to do) -- "Mommmmmyyyyyy...I'm standing in the corner with my nose!!! I sing this song for youuuuuuu!" and so on. Yes, adorable and creative. But clearly she is not getting the point here. So I am running out of ideas. She loves to watch Sprout before bedtime, so I told her that because she didn't listen to mommy, she cannot watch it tonight. I am not opposed to "popping" or spanking, but I feel that should really be reserved for times when there is real danger involved: hitting, biting, throwing, stomping on Lilly Catherine. But she never does those things -- thank goodness! And she is so great most of the time, and so sweet and loving and adorable. But I am just running out of ideas! Oh and I should add that during time out she now loves to make snow angels. Not very threatening in the corner. Maybe I should get a chair?!?
Oh...and she is SO CUTE :)

1 comment:

Shea and Jacob said...

I know I don't have a child Caroline's age yet but I am reading the book The Strong Willed Child by Dr. James Dobson. I'm finding it to be very helpful already and can see that it'll be nice to have when she is Caroline's age. It explains why they're defiant and how to respond in a loving but authoritative way. Just thought I'd mention it:)