Thursday, May 20, 2010

Getting a Little Concerned...

I have previously talked on our blog about Caroline and how red she gets out in the sun. A few things have changed over the last several months (or we have just started noticing them because she is doing different activities). For one, she is no longer only getting red while outside. We went to a place in Asheville that has an indoor bouncy set...climbing, jumping, sliding, etc. Well, after about 10 minutes, she was red. We have also noticed that while we are inside the mall or a store, and she is running around crazy like a 2 year old, she starts getting red. And while we were at the beach, the one day we actually went out to the beach, it was very sunny but also very windy, so not very hot. She did not get red. So...the dermatologist has ruled out that this is a sun allergy. We have been thinking this is the cause since late last summer. He told us today that it is no longer a dermatological issue, but rather something is going on "inside" of her. What that is is the next step. He mentioned that she could have a growth somewhere in her body that when she is active, it releases chemicals/hormones that cause her to get really red. She also gets very lethargic, says she doesn't feel well, doesn't sweat and is hot. He is going to consult with our pediatrician and refer us to some specialists. Probably an endocrinologist and one other specialist (he did not name the type). So, I am a little worried. I am trying not to get too worked up over something that might not even be there, but I am also concerned for my baby. They are going to be in touch with us early next week and I hope that we can get something scheduled soon so we can figure out what is going on.

1 comment:

Susan and Ethan Peterson said...

I will be praying for y'all Katie. I hope that it is nothing major but they can help you figure out what's going on. Keep us posted. Love your blog, you put me to shame :)