Saturday, June 12, 2010

Appointment Scheduled



We have our appointment finalizd with the oncologist for Wednesday, June 23.  Our pediatrician talked with the head oncologist at Children's Hospital last week, and he said that regardless of the results of Caroline's blood work (which we are still waiting for...), they would like to do some additional testing and evaluate her.  Over the next week we need to pick up the containers to do a 24 hour urine collection.  I could barely get one urine sample from her, so I don't know how in the world I'm going to get a whole day's worth!  She will have a CT of her abdomen and pelvis the morning of the 23rd, which she will have to be sedated for, and then we will meet with the oncologist that afternoon.  I have to say that I am just ready for this appointment and to have some answers.  I know that in the grand scheme of things, we haven't had to wait for answers/results nearly as long as some others, but it is stressful nonetheless.  Although our pediatrician indicated that the oncologist might want to see us, I didn't really expect it.  I thought the oncologist would say that since "so far" her blood work has come back within normal range, that there would no reason to do additional tests until something else came up or the blood work we're waiting for indicated otherwise.  So initially I was a little shocked that they want to see her, but I think in the long run it will be good for our peace of mind. 

Other than that, we have had a pretty good week.  It has been long.  Very long.  I think this is due to the  stress and I am once again having a hard time sleeping at night.  And since Caroline is in her big girl bed, she is usually in my face, dressed as either Sleeping Beauty or Minnie Mouse, around 7 am.  The good thing is that she goes back to sleep with me for a while!  I have to say that although I love being able to spread out in the bed and "sleep in" by myself in the mornings, I love that she can't wait to come climb in bed with me and snooze for another hour.  I know that she won't want to do that forever.

I was also brave enough to venture out to the pool with the girls by myself Thursday.  We didn't even meet friends there...I was really by myself.  And everyone looked at me like I was slightly delusional for being there with a small child and baby.  I totally agree with them!!!  But there was a great area with sprinklers, geysers and waterfalls that they could be easily controlled in.  We went into the shallow part of the pool and walked around for a while.  Me holding Lilly Catherine and holding Caroline's hand with a death grip.  Afterwards, we had lunch and walked over to the park for a little while.  They both love the swings!  And although Caroline likes the "big girl" swing, she will jump at the chance to be crammed into a baby swing because she can go so high! 

No comments: