Lilly Catherine now has her 6th ear infection in 3 months. We go to the ENT March 11, and I am basically counting down the days! The doctor we saw Friday said he's never seen tonsils so swollen and large on an infant. Thanks, doc. Just what I wanted to hear! And he said that the ENT might want to "do something" with them in addition to what is widely speculated to be ear tubes. I have to say that I am so looking forward to it. Obviously not the surgery part, but hopefully the healing part. She already has a lot of scaring on the left side. And the poor baby is just absolutely miserable. We are too! I was at Children's with her most of the day yesterday because Saturday night she had a fever of 104.3 that would not go down, didn't have a wet diaper overnight (not that she slept...but I knew she didn't have one regardless), and was vomiting all over the place. So they kept her for observation and ran some tests. They had to get a urine sample through a catheter. Let me tell you, that was hard to watch. And then they had to draw blood. (We have had to do this twice with Caroline: for food allergy testing and for what turned out to be her allergy to the sun.) Anyways...so I thought I knew what to expect with that one. However, Caroline has had all of her blood drawn in the last 8 months or so, so she was a little older. Seeing it on a baby is a little harder :( And then she started screaming to the point that nothing came out and she started turning blue. So they had to stop for a minute right before they poked her. I was holding her arms, there was a large male nurse drawing the blood, and another female nurse preparing everything. I told the male nurse that I was worried about her legs (her nickname is Thumper for a reason!), and he said he wasn't worried about that at all. I said ok...Well, she started screaming, this time with noise, and flailing and kicked him right in the arm that he was using to draw the blood. A few seconds later the IV came out and blood was spewing all over me and him. I told you she is a kicker!!! So that wasn't fun. Her urine and white cells were a little high and it takes 2 days to get the results back from the blood work. The doctor said they weren't "alarming" levels right now, just high, but to watch her and if she still has a fever in 2 days to bring her back. *Sigh*
I just want my healthy, normal babies back. I really miss my smiling, laughing, clapping, waving, spitting, in-your-face-at-all-times Lilly. I am praying that the ENT will have some wonderful suggestions that work for her and we will be on the road to recovery! We have a first birthday to celebrate and a beach to be at in April :)
2 comments:
Katie,
Emma had tubes put in her ears almost 14 months ago and she has not been sick a single time since then. Well- she has vomitted a few times. But no ear issues or colds or anything. A few times I've seen ear junk collecting on the outside which tells me the tubes are doing their job and draining her ears!! It was the best decision we could have made. It was done at a children's hospital and I swear they had the kids lined up and it was super super fast. She was rolled back to OR at 7:25am and back, surgeon was in our room at 7:35am (done already) and Emma was back in at 7:40 and we were discharged at 8:15. The worse part was the confusion after the anesthesia, but she got over that within a few hours. She was happy as a clam that afternoon. I'm sure you'll see a big difference in Lily Catherine afterwards and it will all be worthwhile!! Good luck!
Katie,
I am thinking about you! I know that must be so tough. Callie Beth has been sick a lot this winter and then we were struck with a high fever for 2 weeks with no explanation. I feel as soon as I get my happy little girl back...wham...sick again!! She had a cathater too... :*( I pray for healthy babies!!!!
Post a Comment