Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Lilly Cate Update

Lilly Catherine is changing daily!  I didn't have time to post the new things that she is doing at her first birthday, so I thought I would add a few things now!  She has started to say "thank you," unprompted.  It is just adorable!  And the main thing is that other people can understand her.  When we were at the optometrist last week and after the doctor was done with the exam, he started walking out of the room and she said thank you.  It was just precious.  And both the doctor and the nurse said, "awwwwwww....that is so cute :)"  She has also said "good morning" (or her version of it) a couple of times, right when we get her up in the mornings.  She has also yelled "Caroline" and of course her favorite word in "no!"  YIKES!!!  She is also getting very particular about her food.  I think she might be a carb junkie.  Seriously, we are cutting out all pastas for her over the next couple of days.  We always give her a meat (usually grilled chicken) with it and another side, usually fruit or veggie, but lately she will only eat the pasta!  Last week, and I am not kidding, she made a pile of the grilled chicken off to the side of her tray because she wouldn't eat it.  Last night as I was leaving, she threw the chicken the floor (very deliberately!) and said "no" and shook her head.  Hmmm...Have I mentioned that Caroline would (and still does) eat anything...I don't think the child has ever refused food.  So this is a little new to us!  But also kind of cute, if I have to be honest :)  Lilly Cate is also blowing kisses, which is basically her hand spread as wide as possible and her going "mmmm" with her hand over her mouth.  And when you say "give a kiss" she leans in going "mmmm" and and gives a peck.  Another thing she has learned from Caroline is putting her hands up in the air and yelling "ta da!"  Not when she does something, just completely randomly :)  She also says "dada," "daddy," "nana," "mama," "dog," and lots of other fun baby babbling noises.  My favorite is when she is going off on a rant, pointing at things, shaking her finger at things (usually Caroline!) and she says like 3 or 4 sentences, non-stop.  Of course absolutely none of it makes sense, but it is her own little language and she gets a total kick out of herself.  As do we :)  Caroline always starts laughing when she does this!  She has been signing for more for a couple of months now, but she has recently added all done.  She also loves to "give five." 

I started this post several days ago...I can never seem to have enough time to sit down and write something longer than 3 sentences.  Imagine that!  So, if you haven't noticed, none of these "things" involve movement.  Such as gross motor development.  At our 12 month check-up last month our pediatrician recommended that she be evaluated by Child Find, an early childhood development program that offers free services to children that are delayed in development.  RJ came home yesterday afternoon to watch Caroline so I could take Lilly Cate to her appointment.  They said she did great in speech, but is obviously very delayed in gross motor.  The therapist did the first exercise with her and looked over to another woman in the room and said, "she definitely qualifies."  This was a little shocking...I mean, we knew she is delayed.  That is pretty obvious around other babies her age (we have 4 other friends that have babies within 6 weeks of Lilly).  They think that since she had pretty much a chronic ear infection for 3 months (7 total, in right at 3 months), it delayed her development.  And that was right around an age that you start to get up on all four's, crawl, learn your balance, etc.  So we will starting in-home physical therapy within the next several weeks.  And she qualifies for the maximum amount they offer, which is once a week.  We are very excited for her to start working on increasing her mobility (beyond the famous "scoot"), standing and walking.  The therapist estimated that it will still be another 4-6 months before she walks on her own.  Poor baby :(  No big deal though...I am just so glad that we are able to get her some help so she is not further delayed!  And all of my friends and family laughed when I told them that I am doing Lilly's physical therapy at home.  I have been trying to work with her on standing and pulling up for the last 2 months, but we are not making much progress.  The therapist showed me some exercises to try at home before the in-home sessions start, so we will be amping up our routine!  Poor baby was flushed and hot and sweaty after the few exercises she did yesterday. 

1 comment:

tiffabbey said...

Aw, sweet Lilly. I'm sure she'll be moving right along soon...she's such a beauty and has such a great mommy cheering her on.