This was by far my favorite part of the trip. My parent's 30th Anniversary was May 10. That is a long time to be married, people. And since RJ and I kind of, sort of (ahem) overshadowed their 25th Anniversary, just a teensy bit, by getting married a week and half later, I thought we should really celebrate them for their 30th. So, I started scheming in Denver. All by my lonesome. And then I included Dad. And then I called Adele and begged her to fly in for the weekend, without Mom knowing. And of course she had a business meeting in San Fran the week of. So the poor thing flew from NYC to SF Monday. Then flew back to NYC Thursday night, getting in at the perky hour of 1am. Then, bless her heart, she was up at 7am with Niko, getting ready to catch a flight to Charlotte. I love her for this!!! She was, afterall, the huge part of the surprise. So I booked the upstairs area of their favorite restaurant, The Corner Kitchen, ordered a wedding cake (lemon with coconut...delicious!), flowers in the same colors as their wedding, found their wedding album and had pictures recreated in black/white and framed to put all around the room, put out lots of votives and floating candles, had cards printed as little keepsakes of the date, and our immediate family met at the restaurant beforehand to surprise them. All 14 of us!!! Although Dad was in on it, I think he was still surprised at all of the "stuff." And Mom...oh, Mom...I got her really good. (I should mention that I am the world's worst at surprises. When I know something, I tell it. Immediately. To the person that is being surprised. Just ask my Mom and husband: they always know when I have something planned, they know their birthday presents and Christmas presents in advance. I just can't help it. I get so excited that I have thought of something so clever, wonderful (at least I think so in my mind), that I just can't take it anymore and spill the beans. Right down to the last detail. So the fact that I kept this a secret from my Mom for 3 weeks is nothing short of a miracle. I still can't believe it!) Everyone had such a great time and I am just thrilled and excited when our whole family gets together. It is rare these days and I just love them all to pieces!
1 comment:
You did an amazing job...so beautiful!
Post a Comment