Monday, June 7, 2010

Soccer with 3 Year Olds

Ok, I know Caroline isn't 3 quite yet.  But we really wanted her to try soccer this summer, especially while it is indoors to help with the whole what we thought was a sun allergy thing.  We had to sign up in early April and we didn't realize that your child has to be 3 at the time of sign-up.  So, RJ stretched her birthday a little and said it is April 7 instead of July 7.  His reasoning is "what?  she doesn't look 3?  she's bigger than every 3 year old we know."  Ok, ok...good point.  (By the way he is a little disappointed that she is now in the 96% for her height and weight.  She had been above the 97% for height.  But this is coming from a man who is 6'6".  Anyways...)  Last Saturday was our first practice.  Oh.My.Goodness.  I mean, I expected them to be all over the place, but as the coach's wife put it, "it is like herding cats."  So true.  Caroline for the most part did a great job, although she is a little on the bossy/independent side.  I know, surprise.  When the coach was playing a game of red light/green light while dribbling and stopping the ball, she kept yelling, "hey, everybody...green light!"  Um, Caroline, you are not the coach.  So we seriously need to work with her on that.  She didn't say it in a mean way, but she still needs to learn the whole idea of a team and listening to a coach.  And then the scrimmage began.  It was their team divided into 2 teams, so 4 players on each team.  About five minutes into it, Caroline got all upset and crying and melting down.  She came over to me, sat in my lap and I asked her what was wrong.  She said she wanted to play with her own soccer ball.  At this point I was so proud of myself as a parent (for a whole 30 seconds):  I explained to her that during a soccer game, there is only one ball that everyone plays with.  And if you want to play with the ball, you need to go get it for your team and try to score a goal.  So miss priss ran across the field, in the middle of all the other kids chasing the ball around in a herd, picked up the ball with her hands,  and started walking off the field with it.  Classic.  All of the parents started laughing hysterically, myself and RJ included.  So without anymore delay, here are some pictures of our future soccer star:

2 comments:

tiffabbey said...

Awesome...just awesome!!

Pamela Stover said...

what an enjoyable post katie! i laughed the whole time!!