We went to a playdate last Thursday and had a great time! It is also a shining example of why I love and adore having a 3 year old.
When we first got there, Caroline played outside for a few minutes, then disappeared, presumably upstairs to her friend's room, Hannah. Let me just say that Hannah is 4 1/2. So we were hanging out with an older crowd that day. After about 20 minutes, I carried Lilly Catherine in, yelled up from the stairs, "CAROLINE? What are you girls doing?" She replied, so innocently (my first clue), "We're just doing makeovers, Mommy!" (Second clue, Katie: Caroline doesn't even know what a makeover is. I have never heard her say this word before, and even told that to myself walking away.) "Okay, let me know if you need anything!" Stupid me is thinking, oh, they're playing dress up, playing with each other's hair, you know, the normal things they do at playdates.
About 20 mintues later, I am getting suspicious. Usually if they are just playing dress up, there would have been a princess/fairy/ballerina parade shortly after my first round of questioning. I decided to go upstairs, opened Hannah's door, and got knocked over by nail polish fumes that would have killed a small animal. Wow. Hannah had gone in Deborah's bathroom, picked out deep red nail polish and was giving Caroline a little mani/pedi right there in her room. With beige carpet. Oh my, lawsy mercy. I went downstairs and told Deborah so she could appropriately remove the nail polish from her little budding manicurist, and of course, took pictures! I mean, what was done was done at the point. And she looked so darn cute, I just couldn't stand it. There was Caroline standing in her swimsuit, wearing Snow White shoes and a crown, with red polish all over her little hands and feet. Oh, you should also know that when I left to go downstairs and get Deborah, they practically shoved me out and shut the door on me. Thanks, girls. I get it.
Needless to say, we took the polish off that night, but boy did Caroline get a kick out of it the rest of the day!
1 comment:
BEEN THERE!!! I think that's a right of passage for us moms of girls...the day you walk in and are knocked over by polish fumes and dread the next two hours of scrubbing fingers, toes and carpet!
Post a Comment